THE GAME AT A GLANCE
• With 34 points, the Impact is only four points behind first place in the United Soccer Leagues First Division standings, held jointly by the Portland Timbers and the Seattle Sounders.
• Goalkeeper Matt Jordan could be back in the line-up against the Miami FC. Jordan has missed the last five games due to a broken jaw. Jordan was injured in Sherbrooke against the Carolina RailHawks, July 8, after a collision with defender Simon Gatti.
• Forward Charles Gbeke leads the team in points (7-0-14). He also leads the club in goals (7), game-winning goals (3), shots (52) and fouls (39).
• This is the third and last game between both clubs this season. On May 5, in Miami, and on May 25, in Montreal, the Impact shut out the Miami FC 1-0. Forward Charles Gbeke scored both game-winning goals.
• The Impact has a lifetime record of 2-0-2 against the Miami FC, which is playing this year the second season of its young history. In four games, the Impact has not conceded a goal to its Florida rivals.
• After this home game, the Impact will play its next four games on the road.
• This is the 23rd game of the season for the Miami FC.
• After a five-game winning streak (4-0-1), the Miami FC lost 3-0 in Charleston, in its last game, on July 31.
• The Miami FC is 8th in the United Soccer Leagues standings with 27 points. The first eight teams will participate in the playoffs.
• Three Miami FC players lead the team with four goals: Zinho, Eric Vasquez and Luis Gonzalez. Sean Fraser and Sean Cameron scored three goals so far this season.
GOALKEEPER MATT JORDAN
“I feel good. I was able to continue to train and run, so I didn’t lose much in terms of fitness. That was important for me to return to the field earlier. With the clear mask, it’s good because it protects my jaw and it’s light. I think there is a lot of positive energy, but we can’t take anything for granted and we have to keep working.”
HEAD COACH NICK DE SANTIS
“We have gathered a certain momentum and we hope to keep it for the next eight games. We sure have more work to do. I loved the team’s energy and attitude in the last two games. Equally important is to stay confident and healthy. Once again, we don’t want to make it easy for Miami because we never know if we will face them in the playoffs.”
DEFENDER GABRIEL GERVAIS
“We will to try to win three consecutive games at home for the first time this season. We have to be on our guards with Miami and we have to respect them, especially because of Zinho, a player with a lot of experience who can punish us at any moment. This is also a team that is fighting for a playoff spot. Once again, we want to offer a good performance to our fans.”
• The Impact is still undefeated this season (6-0-3) when defender Gabriel Gervais starts the game. The team has not lost this year (6-0-4) when team captain Mauro Biello is on the starting line-up.
• Midfielder Patrick Leduc is the player who has seen the most action so far this season. The 29-year old veteran, who is playing his 8th season with the Impact, leads the team in games started (19) and minutes played (1689).
• Defender Gabriel Gervais is only 38 minutes away from the 12,000-minute mark played with the Impact. He will become the seventh player in club history to reach this mark.
• Nearly 2,000 people from the Pierrefonds Soccer Association and 2,000 fans from Dorion-Vaudreuil Soccer Association will attend Friday’s game.
• The last Impact Jos Louis Public Practice will take place Tuesday, August 28 (7 pm) at Maurice-Tessier Park, in Blainville. For the occasion, all players and coaching staff will be present, and fans will get the chance to win prizes, as well as autographs from their favourite players.
Player - Position – Injury – Status – Games missed
David Fronimadis Defender Knee contusion Day to day 4
Matt Jordan Goalkeeper Jaw Could be back Friday 5
Jason DiTullio Defender Knee Return unknown 20
ELSEWHERE IN THE LEAGUE
• Friday, August 10 – Carolina @ Rochester – Paetec Park – 7:35 pm
• Friday, August 10 – Puerto Rico @ Atlanta – Silverbacks Stadium – 8 pm
• Thursday, August 16, 2007 – Impact @ California – Kezar Stadium – 10 pm (USLlive.com)
• Saturday, August 18, 2007 – Impact @ Vancouver – Swangard Stadium – 10 pm (USLlive.com)
• Friday, August 24, 2007 – Impact @ Rochester – Paetec Park – 8 pm (Radio-Canada, FSW, Sirius, CJAD, USLlive.com)
• Sunday, August 26, 2007 – Impact @ Carolina – SAS Stadium – 6 pm (CJAD, USLlive.com)
Source: Patrick Vallée, Montreal Impact
Info: 514-328-3668, ext. 27
THE GAME AT A GLANCE