Preview: Impact faces Chivas USA in Los Angeles on Wednesday night
Chivas USA – Montreal Impact
Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 10:30pm (ET)
Home Depot Center, Los Angeles
Broadcast: TVA Sports
Also available on: illico web, illico Mobile, MLS Live
LOS ANGELES, California – The Montreal Impact (4-7-3) will play its first road game in four weeks this Wednesday at 10:30pm (ET), against Chivas USA (4-7-3), at the Home Depot Center, in Los Angeles. The game will be broadcast live on TVA Sports, and will be available on illico web, illico Mobile and MLS Live.
News and Quotes
WATCH: Preview vs Chivas USA
This will be the second game in a series of five in 15 days in the month of June for the Impact. The club is coming off a 4-1 win on Saturday versus the Seattle Sounders FC in the opening game of the renovated Stade Saputo. Felipe, Justin Mapp, Andrew Wenger and Lamar Neagle scored in the match, while Patrice Bernier, who was named MLS Player of the Week with three assists. Bernier had tallied a goal and an assist on the club’s last away game against the Colorado Rapids in a losing cause, falling 3-2 on May 26.
“It’s vital for us to go and get a result in Los Angeles to keep our momentum,” said Impact head coach Jesse Marsch. “The best part of our last game was that we rose to the occasion, knowing it was a big game.”
Chivas USA is coming off a 3-0 home defeat at the hands of Real Salt Lake last Saturday. Chivas USA has struggled at home; going 1-6-1 in eight games, and has scored only nine goals in 14 total games played this season. The Impact has an identical record on the road.
“They’ve been struggling to get some fans there, but he ones they do have are very passionate though,” said Impact forward Justin Braun, who scored 24 goals in 96 matches, 72 as a starter, in four seasons with Chivas USA before being acquired by the Impact at in an offseason deal. “They play very organized and they are hard to break down. It’s a big field but that should play to our advantage as we like to possess the ball.”
“There was a certain level of attachment when they drafted me,” added defender Zarek Valentin, who was selected in the first round, fourth overall, in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft by Chivas before being selected by the Impact in the 2012 Expansion Draft. “But I love Montreal and this team. My sights are on this team, and not the past. I just want to go out and win.”
Defender Matteo Ferrari and forward Bernardo Corradi did not make the trip to L.A. due to injuries. Ferrari will miss four to six weeks due to a quadriceps injury, while Corradi is scheduled to have an MRI on Wednesday. Quebec-born defender Karl W. Ouimette has made the trip to L.A. He will be amongst the 18 players dressed for a matchup in MLS for the first time of his young career.
Chivas forward José Erik Correa and midfielder Miller Bolaños missed the last game and will most likely join Nick LaBrocca on the injury list.
The Impact will return to Stade Saputo, on Saturday, June 23, to host Brian Ching, Andre Hainault, and the Houston Dynamo. New season ticket packages for all matches at Stade Saputo, as well as mini-season packages, are available via impactmontreal.com, or by calling 514-328-3668.
- Defender Shavar Thomas played 63 regular-season games and five MLS playoff games with Chivas USA between 2007 and 2009.
- Impact head coach Jesse Marsch played with Chivas USA, joining the team prior to the 2006 season. He made a total of 106 regular-season appearances, 103 as a starter, wearing the captain’s armband in 2008 and 2009.
- Forward Andrew Wenger is on a two-game goal scoring streak.
- The Impact has scored the opening goal of the game in 11 of his 14 games so far this season.
- Goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts is currently sixth amongst MLS goalkeepers with 68 shots against and seventh with 43 saves.
- Midfielder Patrice Bernier is tied for eighth in MLS with four assists.
- Midfielder Davy Arnaud is second in the league with 37 fouls suffered.
- Midfielder Felipe is tied for second in MLS with 32 fouls committed.
- The Montreal Impact is currently second among MLS teams with 183 fouls committed and fourth with 192 shots.
- INJURY REPORT: OUT - D Hassoun Camara (Right hamstring strain), D Matteo Ferrari (Right quad strain), F Bernardo Corradi (Left knee sprain)