Forward Bernardo Corradi will remain with the Impact
MONTREAL - The Montreal Impact announced on Thursday that the club has come to a verbal agreement with Italian forward Bernardo Corradi to extend his association with the club through the end of the 2012 season.
WATCH: Corradi heads it home vs DC
Corradi leads the team with four goals and one assist in 10 games played this season (seven as a starter) after signing a three-month contract just before the team’s first regular season game. His current contract is scheduled to end on June 30.
“We came to agreement pretty easily,” said Corradi. “My intention was always to stay here. Joey (Saputo), Nick (De Santis) and Jesse (Marsch) have made me feel like I was a part of this project. For me, to leave now would be to leave unfinished business.”
"We are excited to see that he will continue with us until the rest of the season," said Impact sporting director Nick De Santis. “We were very pleased with what he’s brought both on and off the pitch. He is the prime example of what it takes to be a true professional at the highest level. It transpires with the younger players on the team and he has been a fan favourite since the beginning of the season.”
“Bernardo has been an important guy for us so far this year,” added Impact head coach Jesse Marsch. “We are very happy that we’ve come to an agreement and that he continues with us for the rest of the season.”
Before joining the Impact, the 35-year-old has over 250 games experience in Serie A, most notably with Chievo Verona, Lazio and Udinese. He’s scored 68 goals over that span, winning a European Super Cup and a Coppa Italia in 2004.
At the international level, he’s made 13 appearances for the Italian National Team in 2003 and 2004, scoring two goals, and was a member of Italy’s UEFA Euro 2004 squad.